Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Calm

Why do stress and tension melt away when we are standing in a forest or on the beach watching the waves? One reason, I think, is that being in nature of that magnitude creates a sense of healthy humility in us. Standing alongside the ocean, or staring up at the towering Redwoods, I am struck by my smallness as well as recognition that, try as hard as I can, there is little I can do to topple a redwood with my hands, or push the waves back.

What freedom there is in accepting that I don't have to be as big as the things I face!

This healthy humility loans itself nicely to the things in my life that I am in conflict with and cause me stress and tension. In healthy humility, I get to say: "This is bigger than me", and, "I can't do this by myself".

What freedom there is in being able to say "I don't have to know how to solve this alone" and "I need your help".

The more mindful person can draw healthy humility as well from other sources of natural wonder not so grand and imposing as great redwoods and pounding waves. Beautiful flowers with wonderful scents, streams and fields, a great musician performing as if they and their instrument are one....these to, trigger healthy humility.

In addition, and as you already know, mindfulness in nature touches the senses. So much stress and tension is mixed up with concerns that are not of the present moment. But stay a moment in the flower's scent. Breathe like the soft wind that dances across the field. Let my spirit be swept up in the musicians tones.

Coming into the present moment rips the bags of past and future concerns off!

As Monty Python says: "How can you be in two places at once when you're really no-where at all?"

Calm Seas,
Rudy Gartner
Sagestones.net

1 comment:

  1. Calm

    If you take a look at the word Calm, there is a message that speaks about relaxation and contentment.

    I am very fortunate to be able to be all over LA,Ventura,Santa Barbara and Orange County sometimes all in the same day. Now you might be asking "Why"
    My job takes me on the road to the tune of about 800 to 1000 miles a week. No, Im not a truck driver, although I do drive a full size pick-up.Im in sales and you have to go where the work is.....

    For me, when I am able to view the lush green foothills after a good rain and in the same day be sitting off the side of the road and looking at the beautiful coastline of Santa Barbara,I am blown away just how small I am in the big picture of life. "Every day is a blessing"
    Some days it is harder to maintain that attitude. However, I can find a patch of dirt overlooking a beautiful green valley or foothill view, or a common bench overlooking our majestic ocean, I can take two or three deep breaths, clear my mind,say a small prayer and realize for that very moment nothing else matters.
    I have realized (within the last 5 or so years)
    that life has its ups and downs but nobody is in charge of my happiness. That is a choice that we are free to make on our own.

    "Don't let anyone steel your JOY"



    ReplyDelete